This blog is all about day to day cricket stats,facts and records by Bharath Seervi. Here you get a regular dose of interesting cricket stats as the cricket goes on. Follow up and share if you like it !!
Friday, 19 April 2013
Hat Tricks in IPL
A hat trick is an achievement in cricket, by bowlers, when they take 3 wickets off their 3 consecutive legal balls in a match.
Note : A hat trick can extend to 2 overs and even to 2 innings in Test Matches.
Hat Tricks in IPL
As of on 17th April 2013, there have been 11 hat tricks in the Indian Premier League. The first bowler to take Hat Trick in IPL was Lakshmipathy Balaji for the Super kings vs the Kings XI Punjab at Chennai on 10th May in the first edition of IPL
01. Lakshmipathy BALAJI, CSK vs KXIP, Chennai,2008
Balaji dismissed Irfan Pathan (Caught), Piyush Chawla (Caught) and VRV Singh (Caught) on the 3rd, 4th and 55th delivery of the final over of the match and CSK won the match by 18 Run s. Balaji finished with 5/24 and was awarded the Man of the Match.
02. Amit MISHRA, DD vs DC, Delhi, 2008
Amit Mishra took the second Hat Trick of the DLF IPL when he dismissed Dwaraka Ravi Teja (Caught),Pragyan Ojha (Caught) and RP Singh (Stumped) on the first 3 balls of the final over of the match. He missed 4 on 4, as Dinesh Karthik failed to collect the ball behind the stumps to cause another stumped out. DD won by 12 runs. Mishra took 5/17 and a well deserved Man of the Match award.
03. Makhaya NTINI,CSK vs KKR, Kolkata, 2008
Makhaya Ntini was the 3rd player to claim a Hat Trick and 3rd in 2008. His hat trick extended 2 overs. He dismissed Sourav Ganguly (Bowled) on the last ball of the 5th over and took 2 wickets on the first 2 balls of the 17th over by dismissing Debabrata Das (Bowled) and David Hussey (Bowled). CSK won by 3 runs by D/L Method in this rain affected match.
04. YUVRAJ Singh, KXIP vs DC, Durban, 2009
Not so famous for his bowling then, the Sixer King opened the account of Hat Tricks in the 2009 season in South Africa. He dismissed Robin Uthappa (Caught) and Jacques Kallis (Bowled) on last 2 deliveries of 12th over and then completed the Hat Trick by dismissing Mark Boucher (LBW) on the first delivery of 14th over. KXIP lost the match by 8 runs, though Yuvraj got the Man of the Match for his 3/22
Another shocker, when Rohit Sharma took a hat trick in the same year. His hat trick included the wickets ofAbhishek Nayar (Bowled) and Harbhajan Singh (Bowled) on the last 2 deliveries of 16th over and JP Duminy(Caught) off the first delivery of 18th over. Overall he took 4 wickets in 5 balls and finished with 4/6 off 2 overs and Chargers beat Indians by 19 runs. Rohit Sharma was the Man of the Match.
06. YUVRAJ Singh, KXIP vs DC, Johannesburg, 2009
Yuvraj Singh became the first player to take 2 Hat Tricks in IPL and both in the same year South Africa. This hat trick of Yuvraj saw the wickets of Herschelle Gibbs (Bowled) on the last delivery of 12th over and Andrew Symonds (Stumped) and Venugopal Rao (Bowled) in the first 2 deliveries of 14th over. Punjab won this thrilling game by mere 1 run and Yuvraj was the Man of the Match.
07. PRAVEEN Kumar, RCB vs RR, Bangalore, 2010
Praveen kumar grabbed the first hat trick of the 2010 season with his dismissals of Damien Martyn (Bowled),Sumit Narwal (Caught) and Paras Dogra (Bowled) on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th ball of 17th over which helped RCB to dismiss RR on a score of 92 runs. RCB chased down the score with all 10 wickets remaining.
08. Amit MISHRA, DC vs KXIP, Dharamsala, 2011
Amit Mishra took another Hat Trick in his IPL career in 2011 and became the second bowler to take 2 hat tricks in IPL after Yuvraj. This time his dismissals were Ryan McLaren (Caught), Mandeep Singh (Stumped) and Ryan Harris (Caught) in the 3rd, 4th and 5th balls of 16th over. Mishra finished with 4/9 and his team won by 82 runs.
09. Ajit CHANDILA, RR vs PWI, Jaipur, 2012
Ajit Chandila became the 9th bowler to take an IPL Hat Trick. His Hat Trick came at the beginning of the inning at Jaipur with dismissals of Jesse Ryder (Caught) and Sourav Ganguly (Stumped) off the last 2 deliveries of first over and Robin Uthappa (Stumped) in the next over. Royals won the match by 45 runs with Chandila (4/13) getting the Man of the Match Award
10. Sunil NARINE, KKR vs KXIP, Mohali, 2013
Sunil Narine, the mystery bowler, after all great achievements in IPL, added a Hat Trick to his tally, which is the 10th Hat Trick in IPL. His victims were David Hussey (Caught), Azhar Mahmood (Caught & Bowled) andGurkeerat Singh (Bowled) in the last 3 deliveries of 15th over. Knight Riders lost the match by 4 runs.
11. Amit MISHRA, SRH vs PWI, Pune,2013
Amit Mishra with another hat trick, became the first bowler to take 3 hat tricks in IPL history. The 3rd one included Bhuvneshwar Kumar(LBW), Rahul Sharma (Bowled) and Ashok Dinda (Bowled) on the last 3 deliveries of the 19th over. Hence he produced another win for his team. SRH beat PWI by 11 runs and Amit Mishra adjudged the Man of the Match.
SOME FACTS OF HAT TRICKS IN IPL
* Amit Mishra becomes the first bowler to take 3 Hat Tricks in overall T20 History
* Ntini and Narine are the only overseas bowlers to take a Hat Trick in IPL.
* Amit Mishra is the only man to take 3 hat tricks in IPL.
* Yuvraj’s and Narine’s are the only Hat Tricks which came in their Team’s loss.
* Yuvraj Singh is the only player to score a 50 and take a Hat Trick in an IPL Match, unfortunately his team lost.
* Rohit Sharma is the only player to have a Hat Trick and also score a Century in IPL Career.
* Ntini finished his Hat Trick with all his 3 victims bowled.
* Balaji completed his Hat Trick with all 3 batsmen caught.
* Chandila’s first 3 wickets in IPL were the Hat Trick wickets and Ntini’s 2nd,3rd and 4th were the Hat Trick Wickets.
* Sourav Ganguly, David Hussey and Robin Uthappa are the only 3 players to be victims of 2 different Hat Tricks in IPL.
* Mark Boucher and Bhuvaneshwar Kumar were the only batsmen to be dismissed as LBW in a Hat Trick, by Yuvraj Singh and Amit Mishra respectively.
* Azhar Mahmood is the only batsman to be dismissed as Caught & Bowled in a Hat Trick, by Sunil Narine.
* Rohit Sharma is the youngest player to take an IPL Hat Trick at the age of 22 years and 6 days.
* Makhaya Ntinin is the oldest player to take an IPL Hat Trick at the age of 30 years and 117 days.
* 3 Hat Tricks have been taken by Fast Bowlers and rest 8 by Spinners.